[dba-Tech] Re: [dba-Tech

Mitsules, Mark S. (Newport News) Mark.Mitsules at ngc.com
Wed Sep 22 07:16:07 CDT 2004

My thoughts on fair use have been aired before so I do not feel guilty
providing this information.

Here's my quick and dirty tutorial for copy-protected DVDs:

1. Rip the DVD to an .iso image using DVD Decrypter.  This removes all copy
protection and region codes.  You must have an OS capable of handling file
sizes >4Gb.  This means Windows NT, 2000, or XP.

2. I use Daemon Tools as an optical drive emulator to "mount" .iso images as
a drive.

3. Open the image using DVD Shrink.  It would be difficult to describe all
the options entirely, but you are mainly concerned with either backing up
the entire disc, or re-authoring the DVD with only the items you select
(i.e. main movie, wide-screen version only).  DVD Shrink integrates with
Nero allowing you to burn directly to a blank DVD.  If you don't have Nero
you can create another .iso image and burn with DVD Decrypter.

Caveats when backing up a DVD:  DVD burners and associated media come in two
primary flavors, DVD+R and DVD-R.  Computers can read either.  Stand-alone
DVD players can be temperamental...which formats they will read and even
regarding brands of media.

Mark