[dba-Tech] DWL-G520 Adapter - Win98 - Won't Connect

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat Aug 27 14:33:09 CDT 2005

I know someone on this list can help me.  I am using wireless broadband
for my internet connection.  Setting up the XP machines was a snap.
 Setting up the Win98SE machines, on the other hand, has been a bear
each time.  Now I have one I can't get to even connect.

System is Win98SE - Pentium II - 266MHz - 160Mb RAM - I forget how many
Gb HD, think it's 6.

It's an old machine, I know - temporarily assigned to my grandson until
we get his "real" computer (for college).  I need to get it connected to
the internet.

I've installed the DWL-G520 AirPlusXtremeG card.  I've downloaded and
installed the updated drivers for Win98SE.  The hardware wizard finds it
and sets it up.  The adapter is in the device manager, shows as working
correctly.  I put the appropriate information in the configuration
screen - name of network, authentication, encryption, WEP key, click
Apply to save the settings.  But the site survey fails to find the
network.  And, when I return to the configuration screen my settings are
gone.

I've messed around with the network protocols and adapters screen - I
think I have them right - they pretty much match the settings on the
Win98SE machine that IS connecting.  However, I never - make that NEVER
- get a connection.  What is the engineer's definition of Hell?  A room
full of the best, most modern machines, in perfect condition - that
won't work!

I have found some articles on the net that I will hold in my hot little
hands when I next attack this machine.  But, in the meantime, I thought
I'd ask  the gurus on this list for some suggestions.  Go ahead and
start at the beginning.   I am willing to retrace any and all of my
working process.  I still know so little about networking I feel totally
ignorant.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Tina