[dba-Tech] International settings

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Fri Jul 8 17:50:49 CDT 2005

I may have asked this and if so please forgive the redundancy. Repeatedly in
A2003 and Outlook 2003, I find myself in an international keyboard set
through no conscious action of mine. Perhaps I am hitting some magic key now
and then. I do not know.

The symptoms are:
I attempt to type a question mark and instead get É.
I attempt to type an apostrophe and instead get ``.
I attempt to type a double quote and instead get ``.

It appears that the only apps so affected are Access 2003 and Outlook 2003.
If I exit and reboot the problem goes away... for a while. But it is
guaranteed to re-appear.

What I would like is a procedure that undoes this reassignment and puts me
back in my comfortable place.

I have no idea what I`m doing that causes this behaviour, and no particular
interest in tracing it and documenting it for the MS minions. I just want it
to go away. To make it go away, I currently exit Access then re-open the app
of interest, and it is gone, for a while. But if I spend an hour in the app,
it is GUARANTEED to re-appear. Sometimes it happens in 3 minutes.

Outlook and Access are affected. I can switch to Word or Excel and the
keystrokes behave as you would expect. But something occurs in Access 2003
that is special.

IdeasÉ Look it just happened there! I attempted to type a question mark.

Let`s experiment... it just happened again. That apostrophe is backwards.
How about a word such as ``they`re``É

Good example! I am seeing double apostrophes where I intended double-quotes
and instead of a question mark I am seeing a É (i.e. capital e acute).

What the hell is causing thisÉ (there we go again! That last char was
supposed to be a question mark). And how do I fix it for once and for all.

TIA,
A.