[dba-Tech] More Unicode

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:07:29 CDT 2005

Dear Group,

Today I was trying to add the Unicode character for the "flat" symbol
in music to a message in my email reader. There's a nice layout of all
the Unicode characters at www.visibone.com. Specifically, I found the
"flat" symbol on this page:
http://www.visibone.com/htmlref/char/cer09800.htm. Viewing that page
with Firefox, I was able to see that code 9837 (decimal) was "flat",
9838 was "natural", and 9839 was "sharp."

I wasn't able to add that "flat" character to my email, though.

When I view the same page with IE, I don't see half as many of the
characters as I see with Firefox. And the unused or unassigned or
undisplayable characters in Firefox appear as question marks, while in
IE they appear as little empty boxes.

In Firefox, the proportional font is set to "Serif" and the serif font
is set to "Times New Roman." In IE, the "Web page font" is Times New
Roman. What's odd is that the "Serif" font doesn't appear on any of my
lists of installed fonts. I use Bitstream's very nice Font Navigator
for creating groups of fonts on my system...and nowhere do I see the
"Serif" font.

What would explain the different views of that web page? Here are
screen shots of the page in FireFox and IE:

http://www.swerbach.com/images/9800-9899ff.gif
http://www.swerbach.com/images/9800-9899ie.gif

By the way, I examined the HTML code for that page and the only FONT
references are to increasing the size by +3. No style sheets, either.

--
Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing