[dba-Tech] Compromised Internet Explorer?

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu May 5 20:05:06 CDT 2005

WinXP SP2 won't install on a bum copy of WinXP after June or July
So you will get left out on any future XP updates aside from security ones.
There is a Microsoft WinXP SP certification site to test , if you have
an OEM recovery disk
you won't have a key. So it checks your machine type and manufacturer to
verify XP.
Then it sticks a verification key in your registrty.
I am not sure of all the options as it varies by country, there are
rebates for pirated software etc.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Legit+Windows+or+no+updates/2100-1016_3-5550205.html?tag=nl
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Can+we+check+your+software+license/2100-1016_3-5371664.html?tag=nl