[dba-Tech] RooktKit - What's That

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 14:49:22 CST 2005

On 11/8/05, Tina Norris Fields <tinanfields at torchlake.com> wrote:
> Jon,
> Please tell me what RootKit Revealer is - and why would it be bad to
> play a music CD on the computer?
> Thanks,
> Tina

Sony just got in a heap of trouble for installing some software with
music CDs that attempts to hide itself and works to keep people from
pirating Sony CDs. Funny thing is, if you're not careful and remove
it, your CD-Drive goes with it (software-wise). Their software
technically isn't a RootKit, but alot of people have coined the
phrase. My guess is the RootKit Revealer is something akin to Ad-aware
and Spybot that searches and removes it.

--
Darsant Silverstring

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein