[dba-Tech] SpySweeper

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Sep 25 16:36:29 CDT 2006

I was actually referring to the real time scanner part of SpySweeper.

I also run CounterSpy and PestPatrol and have been testing Ewido for a
couple of months now. (All on separate machines - of course!)

Although they all have moments of resource hoggishness (?) SpySweeper seems
to rule the mud hole on that aspect. Just check the process list and see how
much RAM/CPU it is using on a regular basis.

Typically on my P4 (Pest Patrol) & P3 (CounterSpy) the RAM use is about
25MBs (for the real time spyware component and the overall system's CPU
usage is about 3% when not running any end user or developer apps. I don't
have a SpySweeper PC running right now but as I recall it was quite a bit
higher on average.

Sometimes when things are running a bit slow I check this and the usage is
way up. It usually goes down after a couple of minutes though so its either
scanning something or having a hissy fit ;o)

BTW so far Ewido seems to be fairly easy on the system resources, but I'm
not completely finished with my eval on it.

I'm also testing CounterSpy v2.0 Beta right now.