[dba-Tech] Petulant PC

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:43:24 CDT 2007

JimL,

» the client was rightfully very upset and I, as a temporary Dell rep
looked like an idiot... (I do not need any extra help thank-you.) «

I was much affected by your tale of woe, but doubly amused by this.  I
really shouldn't read these messages while drinking anything...

» Dell stopped replying to his calls and he had to find a solution on
his own. 2 days later, he had found and installed an open-source
solution as his client's were threatening to sue him and Dell. He was
a 'Basket Case' when the job was finally completed after having not
slept for 3 days and he swears he never trust Dell again. </End of
vent> «

I don't mean to re-open any wounds, here, but this sounds like maybe
the equipment being installed was not all purchased from Dell -or- the
Dell on-site installation option wasn't purchased.  Was Dell being
balky and uncooperative because, perhaps, of "non-standard" equipment
or do-it-yourself installation?

I used to work for a Digital Equipment supplier/custom software house.
 The guys that ran it had had a very close relationship with DEC for a
long time (the VP was given the contract to upgrade the PDP-8
operating system -- yes, this was some time ago; 1983-4 or so).  They
also had an excellent relationship with the DEC Field Service office
people.  So if they decided to install a new 10 MB 14" removable disk
drive pack (big stuff at the time!) at a client site they could rely
on getting good help from the Field Service office even though DEC
itself wasn't doing the install.  Things have changed since then.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI