[dba-Tech] Wireless Network WinXP and Win98

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Aug 8 05:33:05 CDT 2008

Hi again all you wizards,

Since you helped me with my understanding of the "router," "wireless
access point," and "bridge," perhaps you can help me with this next part.

In addition to my Internet access through the bridge of my two D-Link
Routers, I did create a peer-to-peer network among my office computers.
They were 2 WinXP laptops and 1 Win98 desktop.  I used the WinXP wizard,
I think, and made the network first on the main computer (the newer of
the WinXP laptops), then copied the settings onto a diskette and loaded
them into the other two computers.  The network works well.  I don't
really remember what issues I faced with networking these different OSs,
other than that the 802.11G technology was too much for the Win98 and I
had to stay with 802.11B for its adapter card.  Now, I need to do the
same thing for a friend.  I've been trying to refresh my memory of the
issues before I go tackle her machine.

What are the "gotchas" that I need to watch out for?

Thanks,
Tina