[dba-Tech] Norton!

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Fri Feb 1 14:04:24 CST 2008

I've read the reviews but am skeptical. I ordered NIS 2008 and will be
testing it over the next few weeks. If you'd like to do the same please let
us know what you discover.

Of particular interest to me is:
-System overhead / resources used - the reviews I've read don't mention this
and NIS has been notorious for using a lot of resources
-System conflicts NIS 2005-2007 has been notorious for causing problems -
not something I look for in a utility program
-SPAM filtering capability - Norton antispam has been at best sub par in the
past.
-Anti-spyware - pre 2008, Norton antispyware has been weak to say the least.
Antispyware today needs to stop spyware from installing in the first place
not just clean it after the fact - the freebies can do that. Unfortunately
the damage can be done by the time one gets around to cleaning it up.

I would expect that their Anti-virus and Firewall would be as good or better
than in the past and not of concern.