[dba-Tech] Compressing Drives

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 9 11:35:07 CDT 2008

Hi Rocky:

The compression depends so much on the files being stored there. A couple of
years ago I did an experiment to see how space I could gain on a Firewire
connected drive. The drive was being used by my wife who needs a lot of
picture storage.

The result was that the drive access speed dropped and there was relatively
little space gained. That is when I discovered that JPEG pictures do not
compress so the whole effort was for not. But with word and spreadsheet
documents, for example, there should be a decent space increase.

HTH