[dba-Tech] The history of Linux

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 16 14:45:50 CDT 2009

Hi Bill:

All the various distributions of Linux have very similar kernels...
Companies like Redhat and Debian has subtle different in kernels but most of
the changes they make are to the interface components, at the command level
to give better functionality with their server class systems.

The kernels form the various companies take a very small foot-print. So if
you are comfortable with just a command line interface you can say run a
Debian server on 200MHz beater with 64K of RAM.

The next set of desktop choices at either GNOME or KDE. Gnome is like a MAC
interface and KDE is like a windows interface.

My preference is to use the Ubuntu distro, with the default Gnome desktop
which uses the Debian kernel.

Even with the full graphics interface, like Ubuntu, you can boot it up on an
800MHz box with only 256MB... Of course the more the faster.

Right now I have all my heavy duty systems running Windows but the older
computers run the latest Linux distributions very nicely. They all play
together very nicely in a network. Also a number of clients who can not
afford to or will not afford to upgrade to Windows, I just set up the new
systems in Linux, generally Ubuntu and everyone is happy.