[dba-Tech] New virtual drive

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 10:36:14 CST 2010

Mark,

>> First to Steve: you mentioned that you had to use an XP Cd to perform a
repair / upgrade.  Is that because the machine was Win98?  Could you not
have left it running as Win98.  The reason I ask is I have an XP Laptop I
want to P2V so I am wondering will I still need to dig out a XP disk, or if
I am happy with the OS, can I use the tools you kindly recommdned and I will
be good to go. <<

I'm sorry if I confused the issue.  John asked about Windows 98.  I have not
converted a Windows 98 machine to a VM...I've only done it successfully with
two Windows XP Pro machines.

I had to dig out the XP disk because converting an existing physical XP
machine to a VM requires that Windows XP be informed as to the different
hardware available to it.  It's similar to extracting a Windows hard disk
from one machine and installing it into a completely different PC and trying
to get it to boot.  You have to run a repair on Windows to get it to
recognize the new hardware and install the necessary drivers.

The Sysinternals Disk2vhd program simply converts the existing hard disk to
a VHD file with no alteration of the contents of the drive.  The repair has
to be done on Windows to get it to boot as a VM using Microsoft Virtual PC.
 My educated guess would be that something similar has to be done with any
other virtualizing software before a converted bootable drive can be made to
run under a virtualization scheme.

My 2nd XP machine that I converted to a VM was a royal pain in the neck
because its registry was a little flaky.  I finally used PCTools Registry
Mechanic to iron out its wobbles.  That allowed a "clean" VHD to be created.
 THEN I could repair the Windows install.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI