[dba-Tech] Not Sure Quite What I'm Dealing With Here

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Apr 28 11:40:00 CDT 2011

I'd suggest that maybe a windows update went bad. Try system restore.

Turn windows update to "prompt only". When you decide to apply Windows
Updates close all programs and turn off any active type security scanners.
Reboot when finished. If things go haywire then do a system restore and
selectively apply each update until you figure out which is the culprit.

Could be an infection too. If the above accomplishes nothing then make sure
your security programs are up to date and then boot into safe mode and run
full scans.

HTH!