[dba-Tech] Getting rid of some folders

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 28 12:22:14 CST 2012

It looks like you may have had a Trojan on your system at one point but it
was removed, at least most of it.

Somewhere in your system an application is set to run automatically. It can
be in your startup folder, in the paths, in your ini files, your boot files
and in your registry.

It will take a bit of detective work but you can start with the app
"msconfig" for listing the most common start up locations. Some techs
suggest to turn off all your startup applications and then slowly introduce
them back one at a time.

After that you have to follow each application from its start to finish. One
of the most common and simplest methods to hide an application, is to name
it like a real existing app and just dump in the path (check your
paths...you can Google each file and get the its legitimacy, default size
and location). You will have to check not only the applications but their
locations as well. Then there is the 'AT' command that is the core to your
scheduler and it is easy to add a simple app to run at certain times. Off
the top I would expect that one of your legitimate application was
compromised along the way and now when it is run it always sets the registry
to run-once some small app made up of no more than a couple of lines of
script.

Have you tried to run MS Essentials as it may find a innocuous batch or
command file that is not even deemed as dangerous by other malware
detectors?

HTH