[dba-Tech] Failure to detect Flame marks 'the end of signature-based anti-virus'

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Tue Jun 5 07:21:14 CDT 2012

Hans-Christian,

Thanks for posting this article.  Yes, this is pretty scary.  One of the
comments was that no system could be trusted after it has had a virus
infection, so a complete reinstall of the OS is necessary.  Another said
that may not be enough, since it could even hide in some BIOS.  This
leads me to a bunch of worry.

While I'm considered a tech whiz around here, that's mainly because of
the ambient level of tech-savviness.  I'm a "middling" good tech.  I'm
responsible for the machines in my home office-classroom, and my
extended household.  I've cleaned several of them - a couple more than
once - a few times finally resorting to snagging all the data my family
member really wanted to keep, then flattening the hard-drive and
reinstalling everything.  If that's not enough, WOW!  I don't know very
many people who can afford to simply discard the current computer and
buy a new one.

I'm wondering why FLAME wasn't detected sooner, and how will the AV
industry redeem itself (if that's possible).  One comment suggested that
for security's sake we should keep our data off the computer!  Hmm -
after all the work we've done to get data computerized for easy access,
there must be another way to protect it.  I'm really not ready to go
back to hand-scanning reams of paper data.

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields at torchlake.com
231-322-2787