[dba-Tech] IE 10 might actually have it right

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 14:57:48 CDT 2012

The opinion of the National Association of Advertisers is clearly based on
the misguided notion that we are all "consumers" rather than people. That
notion, to use the association's own words, is unacceptable. In addition to
consuming stuff now and then (air most frequently, but also including
nutrients, physical space and information... and way down the list,
products such as soap, cleaning products and way further down the list, new
clothing), I am also a producer, albeit occasional, of eBooks, physical
books, screenplays, code examples in various languages, and the
best vegetarian stew you'll ever encounter. And finally, when I'm neither
consuming nor producing, then I'm playing with my cat or going for a walk.

I refuse to be defined as a consumer by the National Association of
Advertisers, or anyone else. It's time that these a-holes realized that my
name and address and preferences are MY property, and not something to be
mined in order to turn me into one atom in an aggregate that some marketing
wonk has defined (in case they need help, let me assist: cranky post-60
y.o, left-wing libertarian agnostic hetero white guy). There. You happy?
I'm a market. Target me, you mofos!

The whole notion of consumer civilization sucks, and maybe this is the
battleground on which to fight it to its death. DNT forever! All browsers
should make DNT the default, and the advertisers can go fork themselves.

Arthur