[dba-Tech] Contacting the server for information. Press ESC to cancel

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Feb 2 05:23:15 CST 2013

Hi all

This has been bugging us for a while. When browsing folders, reading, or writing, all Office apps could use minutes for this for shared network files and folders. During this, the message above is displayed in the status bar.

Something had to be done.

Searching the web reveals dozens of possible causes none of which seemed valid for our case. So I had to track it down myself and located it to be a simple matter of missing user rights to our DFS. Browse to the bottom for the full story:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/officesetupdeployprevious/thread/f813a327-7707-4292-95fa-3776e66be16b

Like many other cases when first solved, your ever-so-clever comment is "of course".

/gustav