[dba-Tech] Scroogled (was: SPAM filter for Windows SBS 2011)

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed Feb 13 11:06:14 CST 2013

Hi Gustav,
Thanks for the link. This is the reason I don't use gmail for anything other
than hobbies. Then I get targeted ads that I may actually use. Although I
rarely click on an ad, sometimes they're helpful. Facebook does the same
thing. I once typed in something on facebook about my asparagus patch and I
immediately had an ad placed for some page about asparagus. In that case it
was helpful, albeit a bit disconcerting how quickly it happened!

Makes one wonder, could we use this email scanning algorithm against itself;
or for ourselves?
Is this a way a person could pump up their online "resume". Send emails with
"over the top" bragging about everything they've accomplished in life. Never
write anything other than ultra-positive messages. Maybe have all their
friends send them emails praising them about how "great they are". Just in
the attempt to affect google's impression of the person. I wonder what
effect that would have :-)

John B