[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon Feb 18 15:05:35 CST 2013

 Hi Jim --

Thank you for your reply.

I must note I haven't written a word on defense of MS in my last posting you have replied to. Why do you repeat that "mantra": "Microsoft-bad-boys, Microsoft-bad-boys..."?
BTW, I do suppose Microsoft does learn well from their own mistakes, and they do pay high price for that lessons - and it's everybody's own choice to use their technologies and tools (and "share their fails") or not.

But the issue I mentioned wasn't about Microsoft - the issue, which was so well articulated by the author (from FireFox/Mozilla/Gecko/Servo "camp") I referred to, I have to repeat:

"What we do know is that in technology, we've never been served well by monocultures - we know this for sure. I worry that in our desire for clearer definition, easier standards, faster progress, we're forgetting that we know this. Same as it ever was, I suppose."

And so my question is: "Why do you and Hans expect that WebKit monoculture will play well in long run?" (Forks do not make Webkit "mutli-cultural" as it's explained in the article I've referred to).

As far as I see "Mozilla-boys" do not have any strong objections on existence of Trident engine, actually they greet the fact that there are several competing rendering/Javascript engines, and they expect more to come in the near future...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

<<< skipped >>>