[dba-Tech] Duckduckgo

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 19 10:36:24 CST 2013

For the last week or so I have been using the Duckduckgo search engine to
find information I need.

It seems to provide all the information the Google does but it runs faster
(debatable) and is very customizable. (https://duckduckgo.com/settings) It
has all sorts of interesting features as it has taken the best from Yahoo,
Google, Bing and Wolframalpha and left the rest.
(https://duckduckgo.com/goodies)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo

The most of the application is OSS running on Inginx and Linux/FreeBSD and
believe-it-or-not is written the flavour of Perl (with full parallel
processing capabilities), JavaScript and it is Cloud based expandable.
(https://github.com/duckduckgo) There is multiple sources that describe the
application and it components but the trouble is each one says something
different, so who knows.

The application has grown extremely popular as it does not save data on
anyone's searches, in otherwards gives all user complete privacy. Users
wouldn't have to worry about whether a government is demanding information
to support a court case against you or your friends or the site has been
hacked and you personal information has been stolen.

Here is a description of the site, in their own words:
https://duckduckgo.com/about

The activity of the site has grown from 250K a month, last August to one
million hits a day. Even Google has made it possible to add the Duckduckgo
search engine to Chrome, as a plug-in.

I did not think I would initially like the program enough but I find it very
adaptable, full of features and can see it becoming my main search engine.

https://duckduckgo.com/