[dba-Tech] TIOBE Programming Community Index for May 2013

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu May 23 09:44:20 CDT 2013

Hi Shamil:

I am looking forward to the day where the hardware, OS and programming tools
have the ability to really manage multi-core CPUs. Maybe a language like F#
or Erlan which are designed to scale in a horizontally environment might be
the answer? Maybe our top-down programming languages are designed wrong?

When it comes the languages that are built around the internet, they are
never going to be able take advantage of the hardware, or should they. That
responsibility will have to fall to the OS (and BE server).

C# itself will eventually be designed to, right out of the box, to take
advantage of a multi-core environment but I feel it should never have to.
The real heavy-lifting should start at the OS level.

But I wonder if the whole multi-threaded approach to OS and program design
is dead? The event driven model now appears to be the solution. Just compare
response times and resource usage of process-based servers like IIS and
Apache to new asynchronous servers like Nginx and Node.

Comparing a multi-thread application to event driven application:

http://www.organic-development.com/blog/apache-vs-nginx-performance-comparis
on.html