[dba-Tech] A new graphic program builder

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 12:47:28 CST 2014

Shamil,

Of course not. Heavy lifting is always required. The trick with these
graphic programming tools is this: do they get out of the way when heavy
lifting is required, or are we trapped in their paradigm?

I often draw an analogy to this situation when it comes to
team-programming. Large parts of almost any custom app can be executed by
novices. Small parts of almost everything worth being paid for require
skills. If you recall, several years ago I hired you to perform some small
bits of an app, for which you had the expertise and I did not. That
particular project involved 3 developers. A local junior programmer dealt
with form and report creation. I handled the middle bits, and hired you to
write the Windows API stuff that I didn't know how to do. It all went
together in a smooth deliverable, and an example of what I consider my
(excuse the reference to this weekend's Super Bowl) quarterbacking skills.
After all these years in this business, I know how to pass the ball, and to
whom to pass it, to get the job done.

Arthur