[dba-Tech] FreeRDP coonects to a Hyper-V server

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 26 12:51:17 CST 2014

Hi Gustav:

That is a definite problem. I would think that issue would affect Windows connecting to a Hyper-V server as well. Adding another open port to the router can be issue but that has to be done for any database anyway and as long as there is a listener intercepting transmissions, on the port, it should not be an issue.(?)

I had been using Hamachi as a simple transport and VPN for any of my RDP work but that may no longer be possible. All these take-over programs work wonderfully, but they have limits and/or costs and monitoring a large number of sites can become very expensive. I will be working on a solution to that.

Tested and ran Splashtop Desktop yesterday. It is a great solution for accessing computers within a local network but if you need off site remote support, that is an additional monthly charge. It also seems that the latest version of Ubuntu Linux (13.10) is not compatible which it...but 12.04 the stable long-term release works just fine...the dangers of the leading edge (bleeding edge) software. The issue should be resolved for 14.04.

LogMeIns new rates, though not excessive, are just another tax at a time when many companies are running on a very tight budget and just do not want to hear about another monthly bill rate increase. So I will be looking for a product that, at least in the short term, provides remote internet support.