[dba-Tech] Linux compatibility testing

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 9 23:47:50 CST 2017

Hi John:

I have re-purposed probably hundreds of machines, install many systems from scratch and have apparently not had the issues that you have experienced with your first major Linux project. It could be that you have the unfortunate experience of discovering a failing machine, a machine with hardware issues or could you possibly have made a small over-sight?

Just like we couldn't get Windows 98 to run on a modern computer or Windows 10 running on a computer older than 2006, you may have to match up your Linux version against the machine's age. One key problem I have found when installing an OS via a DVD, is that if the bootable OS is created on one DVD writer, it may not be compatible with another DVD writer. This issue may also be experienced with various USB keys. (As you know hardware is downward compatible but not necessarily in the reverse order.

Some hardware manufactures have built computers specifically for only certain OS platforms therefore some systems need some BIOS configuring.

As for the Linux OS, I would select the most popular business version of the product, from my personal experience. Ubuntu (built on top of Debian) and one most popular versions, Ubuntu Mate (like the tea). Canonical the company managing the Ubuntu line of distros is most popular when installing the OS on diverse equipment as it has the largest hardware software libraries. (I have it running on computers that were built in 2002, Raspberry PIs, AMD low powered chip sets and so on.) For this reason I will assume you will be using the Ubuntu platform.

You may have to dig back in the library of OS versions if you are using an older model of computer. Ubuntu releases a "long term support" LTS version every April and a development version every October so the latest versions will be prefixed as so 17.04 and 17.10. If you are going to dig back in the Ubuntu libraries for a version more compatible with an older piece of hardware pick version with the x.04 prefix. I would not go back further the 12.04 version.

To start with, I would view the boot logs from the command prompt. If your computer boots up partially and then apparently stops I would suspect a video driver problem. Many older video cards, have been depreciated by their manufactures and the correct software may only be available from third party libraries. If your Linux computer boots up to a blank screen, you can test this issue by entering the command <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <F1>. If this brings you to a command prompt asking for you to enter the username and password...this will suggest a video driver problem.

To confirm boot issues show the latest boot log by entering (after logging in):

journalctl -b0 SYSLOG_PID=1 or journalctl -b0 --system _COMM=systemd

If you want to create a record of the boot log apply a prefix to the command line to write the display to a text file like: > bootlog.txt
Example: journalctl -b0 SYSLOG_PID=1 > bootlog.txt. This text file can then be reviewed off line or/and emailed.

As there can be so many possible issues, especially with older hardware and some very minor issue can be a show stopper you could send me your boot log along with you computer's specs and maybe I could assist you in your good cause.