[dba-VB] Don't ya just love it when...

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Aug 24 02:07:03 CDT 2005

I found what looks to be a really cool RSS Feed extractor to pull rss data
into a database.

VB.Net http://www.vbdotnetheaven.com/Code/Aug2003/2147.asp

and C#.net.  http://www.c-sharpcorner.com//Code/2002/Aug/RssFeedProject.asp

Of course it doesn't work in VB.net for a variety of reasons.  The script
for building the SQL database just isn't to be found anywhere.  Luckily I
went and found the C# version, whereupon in the zip file I found the SQL
script and ran it.

Next, it places the tables in the Master database.  Sigh.

Next, it needs an XML config file configured and placed in the same
directory as the resulting EXE.  Again, not in the VB version, but right
there in the C# zip.  However I don't know how to configure it.  The
contents looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<configuration>
	<appSettings>
		<add key="ConnectString" value="server=(local);uid=sa;
password=;database=test2" />
	</appSettings>
</configuration>

Obviously the connection string will need to be a SQL Server connection
string (which I have seen but can't just write) and the database (I assume)
needs to be "Master" (since that's where the tables were thrown by the
script)?

Can anyone work with me to see if this thing will actually work if I get
this last piece happening.  I really want to pull the RSS feed for my
NetFlix orders and Queue into the database for posterity, particularly my
recent orders RSS.

RSS is cool, but if I can grab the data it will be even more cool.

http://folding.stanford.edu/