[dba-VB] Deploying .net solutions

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Apr 27 08:34:32 CDT 2007

Incredibly, application distribution is a subject that is not much in the
news.  I googled around trying to find out "the how" and there is not a lot
out there.  My books do not even have the word "deployment" in the index.
Simply incredible.

I work on a computer at my office.  I want to install the application on a
server at my client.  What do I do?  Apparently there is a "project" that
wraps the project that is to be installed that builds an installer (MSA?).
That is fine, except that the installation onto the server may or may not be
the end of the subject.

Some things may be a server based application, the server actually runs the
application.  This would be things like an application that watches an FTP
directory, when files appear they are downloaded to the local hard disk,
unzipped / unencrypted and then the files are imported to the database.
Likewise an application (in fact very likely the SAME application) pulls
data out of the database, encrypts / zips it and uploads it to an FTP
directory somewhere.

With other things, the movement to the server is just the first step.  From
there, the user needs to execute the application, i.e. needs to download the
application to their desktop and run it.  If there are changes then somehow
the changes need to be automatically pulled down as well.  It could be
something as simple as copying the whole darned directory and all of its
subdirectories but I certainly hope not.  Of course if that is not huge then
why not?  So far these are little applications, as opposed to the main call
center app which is an Access FE with hundreds of tables, queries, reports,
modules and reports.

These are applications such as the report generators that create data feeds
to the mainframes.  They take a certain amount of setup - selecting product
types and date ranges before clicking the button.

All of these applications may change on a daily / weekly basis.  I am a one
man show for the client so they have a huge list of "things to do" which
include but are not limited to these applets, and of course there are bug
fixes.  Each of these things may get a new report this week, a fix to some
specific field today and so forth.  Updates are relatively easy with Access
since it is at most a library mda and the fe.

How do I do all this in vb.net?  I need to be able to make changes and push
it out whenever it is ready, quickly and conveniently.  And of course I
often times remote in and work local to the machine because it saves the
hassle of the FTP up / down to get things back and forth.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting