[dba-VB] The "Oslo" Modeling Platform - to use or not?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Apr 26 04:46:33 CDT 2009

Hi All,

I have just occasionally get at the site of "The "Oslo" Modeling Platform" (sorry for my ignorance):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/ru-ru/library/dd129514(en-us).aspx

(and I have heard/seen presentations on MS works on Domain Specific Language (DSL) somewhere back to year 2004 when they were announcing this DSL support will be soon available in VS).

Comparing to ADO.NET Entity Framework, which I tend to expect/hope will be finally (in the near future) a useful development tool, I doubt in "Oslo" platform broad applicability in real life business development as it's planned there: "If a data-driven application has enough detailed model information, applications can run without recourse to static compilation"...

I can be wrong, but my gut feeling is that the truth of the "never ending battle" between imperative and declarative application development is somewhere in between and in my opinion "The "Oslo" Modeling Platform" targeting the edge/marginal side of the declarative development/programming, which will never come true...

I can be wrong of course. Please write your opinion -- I'd feel especially happy if you can explain what are the reasons MS folks believe in the "Oslo" platform's bright future. Of course I realize the reasons to explain that could be of so high level nature that I will be unable to understand them...

Recap: I'm feeling OK on "The "Oslo" platform" being a research project there at MS with some useful outputs, but I doubt it will ever be used as "platform" for real life business application. Isn't that platform a "CASE modeling" deja' vue?