[dba-VB] C# - Thoughts on my methods

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Dec 9 09:49:25 CST 2009

As a consultant in a home office I work in total isolation except for this email group.  So I need
your input, to keep me sane and to keep me on the right path.  I would like your thoughts on what I
am doing and what I am intending to do.

As you know, I have "the database from hell", for which I am developing an application to allow me
to manipulate the various pieces from an application interface rather than directly from stored
procedures and the SSMS or from Access, which is what I have done to this point.  With C# I am able
to do more than I was able from Access, including getting back output parameters from stored
procedures.  So... my process so far.

First off, I am developing the overall application as a set of child projects inside of the
application.  The main application opens a form with a menu, and that menu takes me to forms in the
child projects to perform pieces of the application.  For example I have a database backup project
where I can backup and restore specific databases or groups of databases.  I have an Accuzip project
where I can export CSV files to and import resulting CSV files from the external Accuzip program.  I
have an Orders project where I can create and manipulate the orders I create for the client.

Each child project is physically located underneath the main application directory.  In order to
reference (open) the forms in the child projects, I have to set a reference to that project and I
have to set a using statement in the form.  I still do not understand what these two pieces do.  Why
do I have to set a reference and a using?  I assume you cannot set a using statement unless the
project references the library (or project)?

I also don't understand why some objects in a referenced project class can be seen but others
cannot.  IOW I can use one class in a namespace as a type to dimension an object, but another class
in the same namespace is not visible, cannot be so used.

I don't understand a whole ton of things of this nature and I have to say that the whole "break into
projects" idea is turning out to be more work than it might be worth.

Any comments on this email will be much appreciated.