[dba-VB] Problem while publishing ADO.NET Data Service...

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Tue Jun 9 15:42:58 CDT 2009

Hi Jim,

I'm working for money here - the main purpose for me to learn new MS technologies is to get a competetive advantage, not fun...

As far as I see ADO.NET Entity Framework and ADO.NET Data Services are becoming a kind of "ODBC for 2010ies" - this is an emerging technology but it's getting all the main database technology players embraced already:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/dd363565.aspx

And Silverlight is targeted not only for Windows but for Mac and Linux also...

And I'm not going "to marry my customers to me" because of using MS technologies - the fact is that there are a lot of competing providers in my area of software development...

As for Oracle, PHP, Linux - I have never had opportunity to work using them as it wasn't requested by my customers but a couple of times I have had opportunity to directly compete with other companies who used Oracle for the same customer - both times they were "beaten" by my and my colleagues services, and our "forces" were usually several times less - one time it was 2 developers/consultants against a company having stuff of 100+ developers/consultants...

MS tools are becoming really mature these days, and if properly applied they allow to "make wonders" even on moderate hardware...

> 4. The trend is towards 'portability' on cross-platform environments.
In my opinion, nowadays customers first of all need working software ASAP - and MS development tools help to satisfy those needs/market demands. And I'm not trying to embrace the whole software development market - I mean custom software development - business applicationx for small-/middle-size businesses - here MS tools fit very well IMO - just IMO...

From: "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>
To: "'Salakhetdinov Shamil'" <mcp2004 at mail.ru>,"'Discussion concerning Visual Basic and related programming issues.'" <dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 09:54:42 -0700
Subject: RE: [dba-VB]	Problem while publishing ADO.NET Data Service...