[dba-VB] Access FE --> VB: Conversion/Rewrite Time?

Robert Stewart raibeart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 20:31:00 CDT 2009

 From what I am reading,

Access Whiz Options:                                 First
Option
                                                         Price
Bundle Price
  A- Access to VB .NET (Web Application): ANETVB         $169.00    $60.00
  B- Access to VB .NET (Windows Application): ANETVB8    $169.00    $60.00
  C- Access to VB6 (Windows Application): AccessToVB6     $94.00    $40.00
  D- Access to C# (Web Application)  ANETVC              $169.00    $60.00
  E- Access to Crystal Reports 8 or later: AccessToCR    $169.00    $60.00
  F- Access Form Controls to VB .NET: ANETVBF             $45.00    $25.00
  G- Access Form Controls to C# .NET: ANETVCF             $45.00    $25.00
  H- Access to C# (Windows Application): ANETVC7         $169.00    $60.00

Looks like it would cost me:

D - $169
E - $ 60
G - $ 25
    ______
     $254

To be able to do a complete conversion, plus the cost of Crystal.

On the second one, the link is broken to the 2003 databases,
and it only converts to VB6.  I think they are a bit too far
behind the times to be very useful.

I will take a look at the first one and let the list know back
what I think about it. I think my code is pretty good and standard.
So, it should not be that difficult for the program to convert it
to C#.

I have a project about double the size of yours to convert to ASP.net.
So a tool like this might be very useful.

In looking at the download page when they send it to you,

System Requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows Server 2003;
Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP

Required Software: Access 2000 or later; Full version of Crystal
Reports RDC, Report Designer Component 8 or later is required for
AccessToCR, Access Whiz Option E; Microsoft .NET Framework SDK 1.x or
2.0 is required for Access Whiz Options A, B, D, F, G and H

Display: 1024 x 768 high color

I am not sure how helpful .Net 2.0 is going to be when I am doing
everything in 3.5 SP1.
Also, notice that The full version of Crystal Reports RDC is required
to do the report
conversions.

You might also want to take a look at their FAQ page.  There seems to
be a lot it does not do.