[dba-VB] c# text box changed event

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Wed Sep 30 05:30:08 CDT 2009

Hi Gustav,

My method isn't clever - it's just dummy straightforward and simple, but I
never needed something more complicated within the .NET applications I have
developed. For example, if I wanted to block TextChanged event to be fired
during form Load event when I'm setting in code a TextBox .Text property
value from saved options file then in the beginning of the Form_Load method
I have:

private bool _loadInProgress;

... Form_Load(...)
{
try {
  _loadInProgress = true

and I in the end of Form_Load method I have:

finally {
  loadInProgress = false
}

 - try/catch/finally will always guarantee my flag will not be left in "On"
state. And in TextBox's TextChanged or CheckBox's CheckedChanged (and
similar) events, which fired both when corresponding controls' properties
set via UI and code I have:

..._TextChanged(...)
if (_loadInProgress) return;

That's it.