[dba-VB] SQL Server / 2003 server locks up

Hans-Christian Andersen ha at phulse.com
Thu Jun 10 16:31:08 CDT 2010

John,

Without looking at code, it would be hard to determine if the issue you are
suffering from is related to deadlocks or race conditions or misbehaving
code in your thread model or whatnot... nor is it out of the realm of
possibility that SQL Server itself is causing the operating system to hang
at a time of high load from your application, due to its own internal
operations.

But by performance graphs, I'm referring to something that collects data of
your system (cpu, networking, memory, paging, database queries/loads, etc)
and provides graphs or raw data for you to get a general idea of where the
problem may lie (take one of my servers, for example:
http://kungfusus.gotdns.com/munin/localdomain/localhost.localdomain/index.html
).
On my side of the fence in *nix land, I use something called Munin which
does such a thing. I believe there's even a Munin node for Windows, although
I'm sure there are solutions that suit the Windows environment far better (
ie. http://www.monitortools.com/ ).

Long story short, while it may not necessarily spell out what your exact
problem is, at least you have some information about the mental state of
your server in the last moments before it shuffled off this mortal coil... and
this can be quite useful in narrowing down where the problem is.

But, I have to say, it doesn't seem like you are doing anything too
'exotic', and considering that SQL Server is used by governments and big
enterprise, I'd be surprised if there were serious stability problems merely
from the process of exporting and importing.

With regards to VisualSVN, well, personally, I do all my subversioning from
the command line, because I felt relying too much on a GUI would one day put
me at a disadvantage, but I recommend http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ . It
integrates with Windows Explorer, so it's a level deeper than a plug-in for
Visual Studio and has always worked rather reliably.

However, it would be interesting to see if moving your app off to
a separate workstation solves the problem... I think that would raise more
questions than it would answer though! :p

Hans-Christian
Software Developer, UK

tel: +44 (0)782 894 5456
e-mail: hans.andersen at phulse.com