[dba-VB] FTP server (was: Goin' for the (browser based) gold)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Mar 19 12:41:12 CDT 2010

Hi Jim

OK, I'll make a note on this. Sounds very nice.
Just about the only feature I recall to have used is virtual folders which FTP of IIS handles well.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 19-03-2010 18:26 >>>
It is just such an easy install for small clients and has so many nice
features and easy interface that with a little training they can manage much
of their own data receipt and transfers.

...But for us programmers and administrators it provides so much more.

It allows central control, with private ports for administration control
(also blocks remote changes in administration privileges and can bind remote
admin to specific IP addresses), sets users with their own passwords, level
of access, level of data transfer compression, restricts sizes of
transferred files, access times, speed control, blocks certain types of
interfaces or sets strict IP range limits, can set SSL/TLS private and
public keys, support for FTPS, GSS and Kerberos and has a command line
interface and public classes for fine grained data control.

There is more but I can not remember all the features but you can see that
it goes far beyond just basic FTP.

Jim