[AccessD] New Software releases Was: ADP vs Access mdb/SQL

Marcus, Scott (GEAE, RHI Consulting) scott.marcus at ae.ge.com
Fri Apr 4 05:45:07 CST 2003

Drew,

<<Software built for the current generation OS is going to be completely
imcompatible.

Why would you think this? I could see it possibly breaking some applications but
for the most part, programs don't care how files are stored and retrieved by the
OS. All programs care about are that the "black box" function calls they use
still return the same answer. It matters not how that answer is achieved.
Software that circumvents then OS to accomplish its job probably won't work, but
API's are a layer that is supposed to hide the details. The whole idea of the
OS(Windows OS that is) is to keep us from reinventing the wheel. I would say
that changing the file access to SQL server is gonna be more of a concern to
Executive Software, Norton, etc. not the Access developer.

Scott