[AccessD] Startup Module not Startup Form

John W. Colby jcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Apr 11 18:25:14 CDT 2003

Arthur,

If you have startup, you generally have cleanup as well.  As you know Access
can hang if you don't cleanup properly.  I use exactly what you are
discussing - a hidden form.  The form's OnOpen runs my init, and the form's
Close runs my cleanup.  That way the database simply cannot close without
cleaning up.  the database close has to close the form before it can close.
The close event WILL fire.  The cleanup will happen.

Works well.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Arthur Fuller
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 7:07 PM
To: AccessD
Subject: [AccessD] Startup Module not Startup Form

Is there a way, without using macros, to specify the startup procedure to
run, as opposed to the startup form to open? I haven't tried it yet, because
it's so unelegant, but if nothing else works I guess I could perhaps create
a startup form that's hidden and do what I need to do in there -- yuk! If I
have to, I'll use a macro, but I'd rather not have to. In lots of other
languages if a proc is called Main that's all you need. Is there an Access
equivalent?

This may be a stupid question, but in all my years of Access work I've never
needed to do this before.

A.