[AccessD] Secured vs. Unsecured FEs

Software Design & Solutions Pty Ltd. SDSSoftware at Optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 19 07:36:39 CDT 2003

Hi Michael - that's interesting - hadn't heard that before.

It's really a minefield.....I guess that the question comes down to *why* they want to own the code and why it's an issue for that particular client. The only time it became an issue for me was with a client who wanted to sell a system I had written for him throughout his industry.......and I thought that was unreasonable. I was more than happy to work out a way of sharing future sales income, but he wasn't having any part of that.....

My issue with allowing users into the FE is mostly related more to guaranteeing the functionality of the system. After doing my full system test I have a verbal agreement with my clients to guarantee the functionality (and I am happy at any future time fix bugs at no cost - assuming those functions were part of the original spec). I am only happy to do that though if I can lock down the system. Most of my clients (99%?) are happy with that.

Kath

----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Maddison
  To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
  Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 9:11 PM
  Subject: RE: [AccessD] Secured vs. Unsecured FEs

  Kath,

  May I suggest you get some clarification regarding the situation here in
  Australia.
  My information had always been along the same lines as you state, however
  dealings
  with our federal govt forced me to change my opinion.  The law actually
  states
  that governments (doesn't specify which) always retain copyright of any
  contracted
  work unless they specifically sign it away.  I am not a lawyer so you should
  get a
  legal opinion if you feel this may ever be an issue for yourself.

  cheers

  Michael M

  That's interesting Stephen, because my advice here (Australia) has been that
  by default ownership rests with the developer, so I don't supply the FE mdb
  in every case. It is a case by case situation for me.

  Kath