[AccessD] Excel zombie won't die

Hale, Jim jim.hale at fleetpride.com
Fri Aug 29 11:39:17 CDT 2003

 I have an instance of Excel that I can't seem to kill except through the
task manager or shutting down Access. I can make the instance visible and
try to shut it down using exit off the file menu but it won't shut down that
way either. The code executes without error. The code is below. What am I
missing? TIA
Jim Hale

Public Function Load_History(intDept As Integer, strDeptname As String, _
intCo As Integer, strRegioncode As String, strRegionName As String, _
strAreacode As String, strDept2 As String, strPlGroup As String) As Boolean

dim appExcel As Excel.Application
Set appExcel = Excel.Application

........... tons of astounding code, yada,yada,yada

If strPW <> "none" Then 'set password
     For i = 1 To .Sheets.Count
        .Worksheets(i).Protect Password:=strPW
    Next i
        .Sheets("instruc").Unprotect Password:=strPW
        .Sheets("assumptions").Unprotect Password:=strPW
    End If
    .ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True,
Scenarios:=True
    .ActiveWorkbook.Protect Structure:=True, Windows:=False,
Password:=strPWworkbook
    .ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=strFileSave
    .ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=True
  End With

 Load_History = True
The_End: