[AccessD] Who is linked to my back end?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 8 09:38:56 CDT 2003

Lonnie,

  Just to clarify a bit on some of the things that have been said:

  You can tell who is attached to the MDB by looking at the LDB file and the
corresponding user locks.  This is what the LDB viewer does.  The LDB file
supplies the machine and user name, the user lock tells you if the "slot" is
active or not.

  Also by looking at the locks, you can tell who is using what table, but
you need to go through all the locks for all users.  No one I know of has
bothered to do this.  As with connections, there is a utility called DBLOCK
that will tell you the table/page that is being locked based on a lock.  The
JET locking white paper has the outline of how to decipher locks.  I don't
believe it's been updated for JET 4.0 though.

  No locking/object access info is stored in the system tables.

HTH,

Jim Dettman
President,
Online Computer Services of WNY, Inc.