[AccessD] SQL verses system features

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Aug 19 17:27:11 CDT 2003

On 19 Aug 2003 at 11:33, Susan Harkins wrote:

> Right, but that's not what I'm asking. I must not be asking this right.
>
> Systems aren't equal -- they all have little nuances that others don't
> have -- within the SQL context. But by and large, for the most part, the
> support in general is pretty inclusive.
>
> What I'm asking is -- is th ability to join on non-key columns one of these
> little nusances of Jet and T-SQL or are both systems simply following the
> SQL standards when they allow this?

As I said before, key columns and joins are totally unrelated in SQL.

There is nothing in the standards that allows or denies joins in
terms of keys. The concept is irrelevant.   You join on fields. It
doesn't matter whether there is an index on that field or not.

That's like  saying I can drive my car on  one-way freeways. Can all
cars drive on the freeway, or do some only work on two way roads?

Whether it is a freeway or two-way (indexed or non-indexed)  is
irrelevant. Cars (joins) work on roads (fields).

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg