[AccessD] Tree View Control

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Mon Dec 22 15:54:05 CST 2003

IME Drag & Drop is quite tricky and a solution to a given problem is
problem-specific. I have given this problem much thought and have failed
to come up with a generic solution (although I recognize that in theory
at least, with enough parameters a function could do it). I have for
example a treeview thing that is based upon the Switchboard -- a single
table. I have seen an example (in PowerBuilder not Access) where you can
drag an employee from one dept. to another; this is doable but not not
generalizable, IMO. If we had function pointers in Access, the solution
would be a lot easier, but faking them is a complex problem in itself.

I would suggest that you copy and clone the basic treeview code and then
supply the specifics that you need in each given instance. That's the
only way I've been able to make it work. Could easily be that I don't
understand enough about overriding the core methods, but if so then I
don't, so I have found the simple path to a working solution is to clone
and override locally. Ungraceful, I admit, but Access doesn't offer
inheritance so I did what I could make work.

Incidentlly, lest you get the impression that I'm an expert on
treeviews, I have yet to master the icon part of it. I'm totally baffled
by that stuff.

Arthur