[AccessD] select most recent

Eric Goetz EricGoetz at EGIsystems.com
Sun Feb 16 16:09:01 CST 2003

Hi,

I'm using AXP to work with sales data. I have a table of sales
territories and a table of sales managers. Only one manager can be
assigned to a territory at a time. The managers table has the following
fields:

ManagerID

TerritoryID

LastName

FirstName

StartDate

ManagerID is the primary key, and TerritoryID is the foreign key. Given
a date, I need to generate a list of territories and the most recently
assigned manager. I can select the manager that started before the date.

SELECT tblTerritories.Name, tblManagers.LastName, tblManagers.StartDate

FROM tblManagers RIGHT JOIN tblTerritories ON tblManagers.TerritoryID =
tblTerritories.TerritoryID

WHERE (((tblManagers.StartDate)<=[Enter Report Date]));

I need help limiting the result to the single most recent manager for
each territory. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Eric