[AccessD] Display message while processing information

Joe Rojas JRojas at tnco-inc.com
Thu Feb 6 13:35:00 CST 2003

Thanks Drew and Lambert!

Very helpful!

-----Original Message-----
From: Heenan, Lambert [mailto:Lambert.Heenan at aig.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 1:53 PM
To: 'accessd at databaseadvisors.com'
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Display message while processing information

I'm guessing that your function runs a loop  which appends records one by
one to the temp table. In which case, if you know how many records will be
processed in the loop, are a decent guestimate, you can use SysCmd to give
the user a progress bar on the bottom left corner of the Access window.

pseudo code
Dim nRecords as Long
Dim nCurrentRecord as Long

        nRecords = SomeNumber ' your estimate or an actual count
        nCurrentRecord = 0
        SysCmd acSysCmdInitMeter, "Creating Temp Table, please wait...",
nRecords

        ' For Loop is just for example. you might use a Do Loop or whatever.
        ' The For loop conveniently increments the counter, in any other
loop
        ' you'd need to do that manually : nCurrentRecord = nCurrentRecord +
1

        For nCurrentRecord = 1 to nRecords
                ' Process the data
                SysCmd acSysCmdUpdateMeter, nCurrentRecord
                DoEvents
        Next nCurrentRecord
        SysCmd acSysCmdClearStatus

If you cannot get an exact record count number, then a good over estimate
will still let you display a moving progress bar which tells the user things
are happening.

HTH

Lambert