[AccessD] VPN and remote access (AGAIN)

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Tue Feb 11 16:25:00 CST 2003

Just to add to the mix, I highly recommend Remote Administrator
(famatech.com).  It does use the API's for screen refreshes (when possible).
It's cheap, extremely lightweight (when you get the refreshes down to 10 per
second...it defaults to 100, which will bog a slower machine down a bit).

It has file transfer and remote shutdown capabilities too.  (And 'telnet',
but I think it only works for 9x machines (the telnet part).).

Also, just to point out why you would want a remote 'screen' shot, versus a
VPN connection.  If you are dealing with small files, such as a VB project,
where your source files are mostly text, and thus relatively small (a few
kilobytes at most), then a VPN connection will work fine, even over a modem.
However, the larger the files, the more bandwidth you need to keep up.  For
example, a 10 meg file will take 30 to 40 minutes on most modem's.  Over a
fast cable or DSL line, 10 megs will take less then a minute.  However, even
over really fast broad band connections, a 200 meg file would take forever
to transfer across.  However, if you have a Terminal Server, or remote
screen program, you aren't transfering the file, just screen images, so as
long as your bandwidth handles that requirement (Remote Admin works pretty
well over a moderate modem connection too), then it doesn't matter how big
the files are that you are working on.

Drew