Netscape with IE - was RE: [AccessD] New look for ColbyConsulting

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Feb 20 11:48:00 CST 2003

Martin,

>You need the flash plug in. Me I just hit the back button when I get a web
site like that.

You know I can appreciate that.  On the other hand if it wasn't an exe
(possible source of a virus) the browser would just download the damned
thing and you wouldn't even know it was happening.  I can see avoiding
downloading something from some web site you have never heard of, but this
is common stuff, from the maker of that common stuff.

I wanted to make my site more professional looking.  I got dreamweaver, and
in a very short time (hours) got it looking a million times better, as
anyone who has seen my old site will attest to.  I am not a web designer,
don't want to be a web designer, don't have the time to be a web designer,
and shouldn't HAVE TO BE a web designer to get an EXTREMELY simple site
looking good.  I took what I had, replaced the background with a more
pleasant design, replaced the links with flash images and in a matter of
HOURS got a replacement that is quite an improvement.

Now, in order to make some off the wall browser stop doing strange crap to
the buttons, I have to spend another two hours downloading all kinds of
browsers I will never use, only to discover it is a bug in that browser to
begin with.  Then I get "you shouldn't use frames", "I just hit the back
button if it needs flash", "You should design two entirely different sites
for different resolutions", "just make everything a % of the width"... oh,
and let's not forget the "just go design 30 different graphics to represent
your buttons and use rollover"...

HELLO OUT THERE...  IS THERE INTELLIGENT LIFE ON EARTH???

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting