[AccessD] OT: network help

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Tue Jan 28 17:01:07 CST 2003

Sounds like you need a Jack of all trades! <VBEG>

I'll be glad to help out.  I'm sending this to you and the list, since I
will put some general info in here which can only help anyone with
understanding how a network works.  If you have more specific questions
John, feel free to email me offline.  (use dwutka at marlow.com or
drew at wolfwares.com).  If anyone else reading this doesn't want to learn a
bit, just stop reading.

Okay, to begin with, TCP/IP is Transfer Control Protocol/Internet Protocol,
which is the protocol used to communicate through the internet.  TCP/IP can
also be used within a LAN.

So how does it work?  Well, to make a network protocol work, the first thing
you need to do is create a method of identifying each machine on the
network.  With TCP/IP, that 'id' is the IP Address.  Your IP address is made
up of 4 bytes, or quads.  (192.168.0.1, each of those numbers is going to be
within a byte's range, 0 to 255).  Now, with IP Addresses, Numbers get
assigned from the left to the right.  What that means is, an organization
that requires a lot of addresses may get the entire range of
146.xxx.xxx.xxx, which is a ton of addresses (255^3), where as a smaller
company may get 156.134.21.xxx which is only 255 addresses, and of course
and individual user will usually only get 1 IP Address.  There are several
'reserved' addresses, which are predesignated for various functions.  For
internal networks, or LANs, 10.10.xxx.xxx and 192.168.xxx.xxx are set aside.
What does that mean.  That means that there can be many computers turned on
with the IP address of 192.168.0.2, but none of them would be allowed to
access the internet directly, since that is a LAN specified IP address and
that would place multiple machines with the same 'id' in direct contact
(which is not allowed to happen, otherwise TCP/IP would not work)

John, I am sure you knew that much, just providing a little background.  Now
there are two other 'properties' that are in direct relation to the IP
address.  The first is the subnet mask.  The subnet mask refers to the
'subnet' that a computer is on.  255.255.255.0 means that the subnet for
192.168.0.3 is all IP addresses with 192.168.0.xxx.  The way to 'figure' a
subnet, is to use bit comparison against the subnet mask.  255 is all bits
turned on, so that number is an exact match.  0 is all bits off, so that
entire quad is a variable.  In between that, you have 254, which means the
last bit is variable, etc.

What makes the subnet mask important, is that when a computer needs to
'scan' it's surroundings, it uses the subnet mask to determine what
addresses to talk to.  (JC...important to remember this...)  A good example
of how this effects things is an issue I have seen with Windows 98 machines.
Our subnet at work is 255.255.254.0, which means the internal IP addresses
are 192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx.  The problem on the 98 machines is that
sometimes we get a NIC that set's it's subnet to 255.255.0.0.  That is
roughly 65,000 addresses.  With that many addresses to scan, network
connections time out.  So what makes this important, is that your subnet
needs to be large enough to accomodate the numbe of computers it is going to
support, and no larger, because a larger subnet takes longer to 'scan'.

The next important item is the gateway, which is the Address of the router
for a subnet.  You must have a router 'in front' of every subnet.  A router
acts as a phone switch box between subnets.  The gateway must be in the same
subnet as the local IP address (unless you are setting up a router...that's
a different story all together).  A router 'knows' what is on either side of
it, so it will either pass packets back into the subnet it covers, or send
them off to another subnet, based upon the addressing.

Now that you know the basics of TCP/IP, it's time for the 'support'
processes, which is where you are running into problems JC.  The first
support item is DHCP.  DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.
When it comes to your TCP/IP settings mentioned above, there are two ways to
set them.  Manually enter the settings, which is refered to as a static IP,
or getting them from a DHCP server.  How does a DHCP server work?  It's
actually pretty simple.  It has a 'cache' of addresses that it is allowed to
'hand out'.  It also has a 'settings structure' that it gives to it's
clients.  That structure dictates the subnet, and gateway properties.  It
can also include items such as DNS and WINS settings (and more).  So here's
the trick, how do you get an IP address without having an IP Address to
communicate with.  What happens is your computer broadcasts a DHCP request.
It's essentially 'protocolless'.  It does this by using your machine's MAC
address (which is the unique ID of your network card.  IP Addresses are used
because there is no rhyme or reason to a MAC address, so it would be a real
pain to 'route' between subnets based on MAC Addresses, so TCP/IP overlays
the MAC Address.  Sort of like the difference between using a phone number
versus genetic code.  You can absolutely find the right person with genetic
code, but when you find the first genome, you don't have a specific
direction to head in, where as a phone number starts with an area code or
country code, which automatically sends you to the right region.)  This too
is important, because a DHCP server can be setup with 'reservations' based
on a MAC Address.  What that means, is that when a request comes in to a
DHCP server, from a client machine, the DHCP server looks at the MAC
address, and if there is a reservation for that address, it hands out the
assigned IP Address for the reservation.  If it does not have a reservation,
it hands out any 'available' address.  This allows you to use a DHCP setup,
while maintaining relatively 'static' IP addresses.  The advantage to this,
is that you can change these 'static' IPs from the server, instead of having
to go to each machine.

The last thing you would want to know about a DHCP server, is that the
'broadcast' message that a client machine sends out, is broadcast only
within a subnet.  In other words, all switches and hubs will pass the signal
to all of their ports, but a router will not let it pass.  Thus, you must
have a DHCP server 'within' both your TCP/IP subnet, and physical subnet.
It's also why many routers have DHCP capabilities.

There is certainly a lot more, but that's all you need to know to fix your
problem.  You need to setup your DHCP server to hand out not only the right
addresses, but the right information for those addresses (subnet and
gateway).  If I remember right JC, you talked about setting up a Windows
2000 server on your home network.  Did you do that.  If so, you can just
drop using the DHCP in your router, and instead turn on the DHCP service on
your server.  Windows 2000's DHCP server is as easy to setup as choosing
your wallpaper.  Setting up a DHCP service within a router requires reading
the manual, and learning to program your router.  Each router is different.
Some have handy 'web' interfaces (just try http://192.168.0.1), or whatever
your gateway is.  If your router will let you modify it's settings through
the web, you just need to find the DHCP settings, and setup the IP Address
Pool (which should include the 'settings' for that pool).  Technically a
router's DHCP is going to be a little faster then a servers, because it is a
hard wired service, instead of a software service.  But we are talking
nanoseconds, and if your router is a pain to setup, those nanoseconds are
worthless against an easy GUI option.

Also, if you have a Windows 2000 Server machine running, you can setup your
own WINS and DNS services.  Having your own DNS server is EXTREMELY handy.
For example....when my DSL is working, I just open my browser and type email
in the address, and i am brought to our Outlook Web Access site.  Intranet
brings me to our Intranet site.  This is done, by setting up my own DNS
'aliases'.

Any who, if none of this helps, or you want some more specific help, either
email me, or if you want to go the Windows 2000 Server route, give me a
call.  (Actually, if you email me with your #, I'll call you on my cell
phone...weekend minutes are practically free)  I can walk you through the
settings step by step.  (My DSL might be down (actually it will hopefully be
up tomorrow), but my server is still running, so I have a running resource
to compare settings with.  (I set it all up myself...I'm actually running
Active Directory, which I HIGHLY recommend, but it's not for the faint of
heart! <VBG>).

Drew