[AccessD] SQL Worm, and a comment about Woody's Office Watch

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Jan 30 16:00:01 CST 2003

Thanks for pointing out Woody's article,  while this week Woody brings some
useful links, I think he's trying to squeeze in more of an angle than there
really is, for example...

<quote>
Yes, PCs running SQL Server are susceptible to Slammer infections. The whole
world has learned that the hard way. But SQL Server's only part of the
story. According to Microsoft, users of MSDE 2000 are also susceptible to
Slammer infections.
</quote>

It would be helpful if he would spell it out to his readers that you have
SQL Server if you have MSDE vX.  He later rectifies this by adding this line
as a sort of sarcasm.

<quote>
First, SQL Server, er, MSDE, is a full-fledged server.
</quote>
<quote>
It requires all the care and feeding that any huge Microsoft product
demands, and it's definitely not suitable for garden-variety Office users
like you or me. You can't run MSDE on older hardware. Keeping it updated and
working properly is almost a full-time job. With very rare exceptions, MSDE
just ain't worth the effort, regardless of the vacuous arguments MS proffers
to the contrary (e.g.,
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/deployment/70/msdejet.asp?LN=en-us&gss
nb=1 ).
 </quote>

I'm not too convinced that he read the article he pointed to.  After reading
it, I did not get the impression that MS was specifically pushing MSDE very
hard, in fact I thought they gave JET 4. a 'hyped' notation.  While Jet 4 is
the next version there have been weird inconsistencies vs. sticking with the
Jet 3.5 version

<quote>
Second, MSDE is vulnerable to many (dare I say "most"?)
</quote>

How about he says ALL of the vulnerabilities that SQL Server has?  I have to
give him credit for pushing his e-zine w/compation, and even making it
plainly obvious that if you run any number of applications you may
unknowingly already be running Sql Server ala MSDE..  One thing he mentioned
in this article was that Access 2002 (XP) does not let you administer your
copy of SQL Server as it did in 2k is this true?  I suspect he overlooked it
because he also said that in Access2000 you couldn't run a backup, which all
he had to do was go to Tools > Utilities > Backup from the menu in an Access
ADP....

:o)

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com