[AccessD] OT: ASP.net not working

jcolby at colbyconsulting.com jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jul 23 22:07:33 CDT 2003

Folks,

I'm working through the very first real example of an asp.net page doing
something, i.e. displaying the time from the web server.

I have IIS running, ASP.net installed (in fact the entire Visual Studio.net
installed), the .net framework installed etc.  The code for the web page is:

<script language="vb" runat="server">
Sub Page_Load()
time.text=Hour(Now) & ":" & Minute(Now) & ":" & Second(Now)
End Sub
</script>

  <h1>Welcome</h1>
  In WebServerLand the time is currently:
<asp:label id="time" runat="server" />

That's all there is.  When I run it, the expected text is displayed but the
time is not.  The book ("Beginning ASP.net 1.0 with VB.Net" from Wrox) gives
a less than helpful "if the time is not displaying then you might have
mis-typed the code".  I downloaded the examples from the web site and the
code in the example above exactly matches the code in the book.

Further I went into Visual Studio.net and built a web page application.  I
then pasted the relevant code into the web page generated for me by ASP.net.
Again, when run the expected text is displayed but not the time.  This seems
to indicate that the IIS server isn't correctly calling the .net framework
and getting results back from it but I am at a loss to troubleshoot it.

Any ideas why this wouldn't work?

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com