[AccessD] Access app for 24/7 usage?

Mark L. Breen subs at solution-providers.ie
Tue Jul 8 03:27:56 CDT 2003

Hello Joe,

Addionally, I would suggest that you build the BE in MSDE / SQL Server.

If you do this, you can forget about compact and repair, you can include
regular maintenance which will run regularly (daily) and you can schedule
backups to another drive / directory that will also be automatic.

While we all love Access, MSDE / SQL Server is built from the ground up to
be used 24/7 or as a friend of mine said at a customer meeting recently
27/4.  Hmm, only works monday to thursday?

Having spent the last two to three years working on VB, I would suggest that
Access is a perfect FE, it but for 24/7, I would prefer not to use Jet as
the BE.  Unfortunately,  if you follow this logic, it suggests that you
should use A2K in ADP mode to use an Access FE only.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Does anyone on the list wish to give a one paragraph summary of the benefits
of running an exe as a service ?

Mark