[AccessD] OT: joy in muddville

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Thu Jul 10 14:22:30 CDT 2003

Another little friendly tip.  They have USB connection devices that allow
you to connect a laptop IDE drive to your computer.

Years ago, when I first started working here at Marlow Industries, we were
upgrading machines quite frequently.  When I upgraded a desktop, I would
take the hard drive out of the old machine, setup the new machine, then plug
the old hard drive into a spare IDE cable.  If there was room, I would just
leave it in there, if there wasn't, I would just copy the contents to the
new hard drive, and let the user sort out what they wanted to keep or not.

The problem I ran into was that Laptops don't have spare IDE ports, so I
couldn't do that with laptop drives.  What I ended up doing was transferring
data through the NIC to my PC, installing the upgrade, then transfering the
databack (unless it was a new laptop, then I just did a direct transfer.)

So years ago we talked to our supplier, about getting an IDE laptop drive
'reader'.  We actually got a bid for about 5 grand to build one, but we held
off on that.  A few months ago I was at Fryes, and they now sell exactly
what we were looking for for about $60.  We bought one about 2 months ago,
and it works absolutely wonderfully.

Drew